We make a joyful noise through MUSIC.
Praise him with the timbrel and dance:
praise him with stringed instruments and organs.
Sacred music has been heard in this community of prayer for nearly two centuries. Our choir and organist continue this tradition today. Read more about our choir; we’re always happy to welcome new members!
In 1972, the M.P. Moller Organ Company of Hagerstown, MD installed a small pipe organ. This Moller Artiste of 3 ranks, Opus 10904 contained:
Great: Rohr Flute 8, Dulciana 8, Principal 4, Principal 2, Mixture II
Swell: Rohr Flute 8, Dulciana 8, Rohr Flute 4, Rohr Flute 2, Larigot 1 ⅓
Pedal: Bourdon 16, Flute 8, Principal 4
The organ case sits above the choir and the instrument was in use until spring of 2019.
In June 2019, a new Rodgers organ was purchased through the generosity of faithful donors and installed by R.A. Daffer Church Organs. (Special thanks to Vice President Ken Brown.) The new organ was dedicated to the Glory of God and in Thanksgiving of our generous donors on Sunday, September 22, 2019, and with a Choral Evensong on Sunday, November 3, 2019.
This superb three-manual instrument, though big as organs found in many larger churches, is perfectly tailored to Sherwood’s smaller dimensions–powerful, but not excessive, sounding intimate when played quietly, and monumental when loud. Expertly voiced by technician Ben Boellner for the 19th century Victorian church in the Gothic style, this large English romantic instrument speaking from the north choir aisle is perfectly proportioned for the small building.
Built on rich foundations, the organ includes two Open Diapasons on the Great Organ, a smooth toned division of moderate power, with independent Tromba ranks at 8 & 4, a Stopped Diapason Chimney Flute, and a Clarabella playing at 8 and 4. There are two enclosed accompanimental divisions, well suited for accompanying choir and congregational singing. The Swell Organ, a powerful division with three large chorus reeds at 16, 8 and 4, and two solo reeds, an oboe and Vox Humana, also contains the softest stops on the organ, a pair of strings, a principal chorus with a bright cymbal mixture, and a beautiful Lieblich Gedackt, harmonic at four foot. The Choir Organ contains a clear flue chorus, the harmonic stops forming a cornet decompose, Dulciana and Unda Maris, a clarinet, and the organ’s majestic solo reed, the Tuba. The Pedal Organ, typical of an organ of this style, with a stopped and open flue, the Bourdon and large Open Wood, and a powerful reed, the Bombarde, also contains an independent Principal 8. The Tuba provides a powerful pedal solo stop speaking over the full organ, and the Schalmei 4, a softer solo stop. Providing depth to the instrument and a fair amount of rumble are the organ’s two 32-foot stops, the Sub Bourdon and Contra Bombarde.
The bell that hangs in the tower (sounding an A-flat), was made by the Henry McShane & Company foundry of Baltimore, Maryland, installed in 1878, costing $400, and weighing 1080 pounds. The funds were raised by active Sherwood member, Ann Gott Merryman (August 3, 1845-April 19, 1917).